Thursday, January 19, 2012

Smart Eats- Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

 This morning I was online thinking about what to make for dinner. I didn't want to go to the grocery store yet my cupboards lacked a sufficient amount of food. I jumped onto my new favorite food blog, Skinny Taste, and perused recipes until this one caught my eye. I was so excited when I had everything needed to make this recipe. At 8:23am I loaded up our crock pot wither everything needed, set it on low and walked away knowing that in 10 hours I was going to be eating a feast! This has definitely become my favorite chili recipe and with only 5 points a serving I can be happy that the taste is there as well as the healthy:-)

Here's the recipe (as found on skinnytaste.com:
1 Onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning, preferably low sodium
2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 oz (2-3) boneless skinless chicken breasts

How is this for easy. Load everything into the crockpot and set on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. I didn't even drain the beans. Just pour everything in, stir and set the chicken breasts on top. We used frozen chicken breasts, placed them in the crockpot still frozen and it worked out perfectly.
After 5 hours, I pulled the chicken out and used a hand mixer to shred the chicken. I then placed the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and stirred.

The hardest part about slow cooked meals is smelling it all day long! The aroma is incredibly mouthwatering. Once you're ready to eat, feel free to top your chili with low-fat cheese and fat-free sour cream.

Enjoy!

0 comments: